Welcome to the Ardent Photography Blog!


My name is Stephanie Ann Osborne. I am based in the Rocky Mountains but travel all over shooting weddings and taking

portraits. This is where you will see my most recent work as well as what’s happening in my life. My goal is for my clients

to get to know me....whether that is through my pictures or just me sharing with you what is going on in my life.


Thanks for stopping by! And if you like what you see leave a comment (us photographers thrive on feedback).


- Stephanie



Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sports shooter...

When I first started as a photographer I thought for sure sports photography was my calling. There was just something about being behind the camera recording history. There is so much precision and skill that is necessary to anticipate the action and get that perfect moment. But when you do it’s a feeling unlike any other. When I fell in love with wedding photography sports kind of fell by the wayside. When I fell in love with my husband one of the many ways he made my dreams come true is by bringing me back to my roots photographically. Weekend weddings and weekend tournaments can make for a very hectic schedule but I would not have it any other way. I feel so blessed… These past two weekends I was able to be a sports shooter and spend some time with my best friend...my husband.

Two weekends ago we covered the Wyoming Amateur Wrestling State Championships in Laramie, WY. It was a youth tournament that ranged in ages from 4-18… I was covering 2 mats simultaneously which usually puts me in the zone, where I hardly notice what’s actually going on in the matches themselves. I become more focused on the movements and the timing photographically. There were a few ‘moments’ that seemed the catch my eye and touch my heart however. There was a wrestler in the 8-10 age range who had lost the bottom half of his left leg. He came to the mat on crutches and as he approached center walking on one leg and one knee I couldn’t help but thinking how challenging that would make a kids life. Things like riding a bike, roller skating, running around on the playground would all have to be done differently than most children. I started to think about his ‘disadvantage’. Once the match started however I found out just how wrong I was. He dominated his opponent, quick with his skills and sharp with his reflexes. Not only did he win this match but the next one as well. It make me think about how when things do not come easy to us, when we have to work hard to get where we want it takes such a strong individual to triumph through. After winning his match he was lifted by his coach and carried back to his teammates cheering and congratulating him. This was a very powerful moment for me and I felt so lucky to have been a part of it.

Last weekend we were in Cheyenne for the Frontier Refining Youth Skills Basketball Tournament put on by the Cheyenne Parks and Rec. Covering 4 locations is always tricky but armed with myself and 3 other action photographers we managed to get every single team. We strive to get every kid on every team as well which isn’t always possible. One of my favorite moments as a sports photographer however is seeing “that” kid who hardly ever gets to play finally see some ‘game time’. His parents are always cheering so loudly and of course I snap off about a million shots just wanting to make sure I get every second of it! It breaks my heart when kids come up to the booth and cannot find a picture of themselves. I want to take a moment to thank our action photographers. Shooting games for 8-10 hours with dungeonous gyms and the roar of thousands of kids can be very challenging. Chad Spangler, Chris Stark and Kira Horvath you were amazing. The feedback we have gotten back from parents has been amazing, you guys are rock stars!

Here are a few of my favorite photos taken by yours truly over the last two events:



0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network

Back to TOP